When specified correctly, stainless steel performs. As with every material, it is important to choose the right product for a particular application and these decisions require knowledge and information.
A common myth is that stainless steels will not corrode or fail. While stainless steels are a big step up from aluminium in strength or heat resistance, and from carbon steel in corrosion resistance, there are limitations and other considerations to examine.
This webinar will look at some of the issues that arise partly from ignorance and regrettably from deliberate decisions made on immediate cost rather than a life-cycle assessment. Topics covered include:
- Unexpected visual defects during atmospheric exposure
- Dissimilar metal effects (although rarely on the stainless steel)
- Guidelines on sterilisation, designs around ponding, small gaps, welding and what happens after
- Good stainless steel fabrication practices
- Why magnets and corrosion do not mix, work hardening and its unexpected effects, plus many more.
In each case the issue will be outlined and illustrated before describing a preventative measure or, for the unfortunate, remedial action.
Presenter: Dr Graham Sussex, Technical Specialist
Graham is a materials expert with over 30 years experience and more than 600 technical publications to his name. Stainless steel is his specialty.
Cost: $45/person ASSDA*, ASSDA Accredited, NZSSDA and Engineers Australia members, $85/person non-members
This webinar will be hosted online via WebEx.
NOTE: This webinar is capped at 45 registrations. Early registration is encouraged. First in, first served policy.